The blistering cold weather months are approaching fast in Chicago and all I can think about is going on a tropical vacation. Since I don’t have any vacations planned in the near future, I decided to make my healthy Simply Surimi & Cucumber Sunomono Poke Bowl and daydream about being in paradise.
Simply Surimi is a new surimi seafood product made with natural ingredients using no GMOs, added phosphates, artificial colors or flavors. It’s also certified gluten-free, sustainable by MSC, and heart healthy by the American Heart Association.
FAB TIP: Simply Surimi seafood is available on Amazon Fresh and at local grocery stores in Chicago here.
I used the Flake Style, which is made from Wild Alaska Pollock. The best part… it’s already cooked and ready-to-eat so making a quick, healthy meal is easy. The resealable zipper bag makes it convenient to store.
On my recent trip to California, I went to several poke shops and was inspired to make my own. It’s my go-to when I want a lighter meal. Here is my Simply Surimi & Cucumber Sunomono Poke Bowl…
- For the Pineapple Bowl:
- 1 whole pineapple shell
- For the Simply Surimi & Cucumber Sunomono:
- 1 cup Surimi Seafood (I used Simply Surimi, Flake Style)
- 1 large English cucumber or 2-3 Japanese cucumbers, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon of sugar or brown sugar
- Soy sauce to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- For the Poke Bowl:
- Brown rice or mixed greens for base
- ½ cup pineapple, cubed
- 1 whole avocado, cubed
- 1 jalapeño or chile pepper, sliced
- Scoop of seaweed salad
- ½ cup purple cabbage, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, julienned
- Pickled ginger and Furikake for garnish
- Cut the pineapple down the middle and through the crown.
- Use a paring knife to cut around the edge of the pineapple, leaving a ½ inch rind.
- Make horizontal slices, then vertical slices.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the chunks and smooth out bowl.
- Put in refrigerator to chill.
- Cut the cucumbers into thin slices. Add salt and set aside for 10 minutes. FAB TIP: Salt will help draw out the moisture from the cucumbers.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, and soy in a bowl and whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Squeeze out the excess liquids from the cucumbers and add to vinegar mixture.
- Add Simply Surimi and mix well.
- Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Add base of choice (brown rice or mixed greens) to the bottom of the pineapple bowl.
- Top with Simply Surimi & Cucumber Sunomono, pineapple, avocado, purple cabbage, carrots, seaweed salad, pickled ginger, and peppers.
- Add Furikake (rice seasoning) and dressing of choice.
It’s #NationalSeafoodMonth so if you love the recipe, please share. What are some of your favorite toppings on a poke bowl? Let me know below.
Live the Fab Food Life,
Note: This post was sponsored by Trans-Ocean Simply Surimi. However, the views and opinions expressed herein are those of the writer.